A Village Life








Monday, November 19, 2012

Kiwi-isms

A few phenomenons, somewhat and sometimes irritating,  which I have noticed over the past 6 years that I finally must divulge:
  1. When Kiwi's, particularly children, say No it is pronounced "nouuuy".  
  2. When you "take" a class that means you are the instructor....weird.
  3. Many Kiwi folk say brought instead of bought, as in I brought a new car.  Where did you bring it from?  Whatever!  As if brought is the past tense of purchase.
  4. Also on that subject, sort after instead of sought after, draw instead of drawer..... the list goes on.  Where on earth did they learn that from, I hope not from school or else I am seriously worried for my children.
  5. When passing an oncoming car on a country road, you give a little, few finger wave.  Actually you just kind of raise a finger or two off the steering wheel as a gesture.  Sometimes this means thanks and other times I'm not sure if you do it because you probably know them so you might as well wave hello or if it is a general "hey mate" kind of thing.  Still trying to figure that one out.  
  6. Kiwi kids seriously do not, hardly ever, actually wear shoes.  Never, not even in the freezing cold winter.
I am sure there are plenty more Kiwi-isms and I will add them as they come to me.  For now I hope that gives you a good laugh for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That's hilarious and really makes me quite homesick - you hit the nail on the head you really did. The take a class is the first time I've ever really thought about that and love how Kiwi kids do not wear shoes, even if they wear them to school they put them in a pile ouside the classroom, really cute.

    ReplyDelete