A Village Life








Monday, September 24, 2012

Presence

The iPhone 5 hitting the market recently has been huge news everywhere.  What's up with these people who camp overnight outside the shop just to be one of the first gadget nerds to get their hands on the newest iPhone?  Seriously folks, what is wrong with these people?  Why is everyone so obsessed with staying connected via mobile phone to the Internet and the cyber world...and their loved ones for that matter?  Do we really NEED to know where our spouses, friends and children are at every second of the day?  Growing up in the 70's and 80's, we weren't constantly telephoning, messaging or updating each other and we all got on just fine.  Do we really NEED to keep everyone up to date with exactly what we are doing at every second of the day?  Quite egocentric if you ask me.  Perhaps part of  what I am  talking about is more of mobile phone etiquette and the current social behaviors.  I was stunned on my recent trip to the States at how overly connected everyone was there.  Is anyone present in the moment at all anymore?  Certainly not from what I have observed.  You are having a conversation with someone and they are occasionally glancing at you, nodding their head while they text or check out a photo or tweet something.  How rude can you get?  Is it too much to ask that if you are on a social outing with a group of people that phones are put away so as to enable proper social interaction?  People are growing socially inept because it is easier to email or text than to actually speak to a person.  Don't get me wrong.   I'm just as guilty as the next guy of looking at Facebook one too many times a day and probably if I had a phone with the capabilities I might turn into an obsessive 'keeping connected' monster....but I choose not to because it just isn't necessary in my life. I could go on and on but I won't.  I'll just say.....
Be Present In Your Life!  Give your phone a break. Show respect to the people who are physically with you.  Enrich your relationships by giving people your undivided attention whilst you are in their company.  Technology is great but as with everything...use with moderation, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment