A Village Life








Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And now with a great sigh...

We fall back into the routine of our simple life.  It was a whirlwind 3 weeks in California but we enjoyed and savoured every single moment.  Each year we go back I see more clearly how far apart my two worlds really are.  The place where I was raised, where all my old dearest friends and family still live and where I have some of my fondest memories versus the place where I have settled, am making new friends and where I am raising my own family.  The two couldn't be more different.  This morning as I walked home from preschool in the brisk sunshine, I heard the sound of birds.  And that was it.  No cars, no construction work, nothing but birds singing.  I saw the woman who works at the shop (there is only one shop), I said hi to my neighbour who noticed we were away and laughed uncomfortably when I suggested that it would be a bit noisier in the hood now that we were home.  I hung out the washing to dry on the clothes line and picked a carrot from my garden.  There was no jumping in a car to head off to do something or go somewhere.  I am just home and doing laundry, thinking of what to cook for my family tonight and writing preschool committee dates on the calendar.  Yesterday after I rearranged the furniture in the living room (spring is in the air) and unpacked the kids' suitcases we went down to the beach to play.  We ran into another family from the preschool so we strolled the beach looking for shells, watched the ducks play in the estuary and played on the playground.  The other mother and I talked about our children and families.  I learned she has 6 girls!  I counted my blessings that I only have 3 to deal with.  It was a glorious few hours in one of my favorite spots.  The sun was shining, the water was blue and the hills were green.  Oh how I love my simple life!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like your trip home was great. I bet the first few days in the sates give you a terribe headache! I hope Estelle made you some of our "survival juice" to sip pool side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a perfect way to settle back into home life. I'm so glad you had good weather and a great day to relax and rejuvenate. We miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Meg. I miss you guys so much. Whenever you head back home I always have daydreams about moving with you. I know, the grass is always greener, right? Your Kiwi life just sounds so dreamy and I can't wait for the time when I get to experience it with you. Wake up and have coffee in your home and go for long walks in the quiet green hills and annoy your neighbors with our obnoxious kids.

    ReplyDelete